Today is the 50th annual celebration of Earth Day. Since 1970, people all over the world have demonstrated their support for environmental conservation and meaningful action to protect the planet.
One of the easiest ways to help protect the environment is to cut down on paper consumption. Consider the following:
- An estimated four billion trees are cut down each year for paper production.1
- Paper production accounts for approximately 35% of all harvested trees globally.2
- It takes around 1.5 cups of water to make one sheet of paper.3
- Harvesting a single tree for paper, releases around 110 lbs. of CO2 into the atmosphere.4
By the Numbers: Paper Consumption in the Enterprise
Not only does using excessive paper in the office harm the environment, it also hurts a company’s bottom line and productivity:
- The average business spends $20 to file a document, $120 to find a misplaced document, and $220 to reproduce a lost document.5
- The average worker uses 10,000 pieces of paper each year.6
- Forty-five percent of paper printed in offices ends up in the trash by the end of the day.7
- A typical employee spends approximately 35% of their time looking for printed documents kept in filing cabinets.8
The healthcare industry, for example, heavily relies on physical records for documenting patient information.
In transportation and logistics, paper is used to track and share information throughout the supply chain.
Retail businesses use paper to manage inventory and customer orders. Field services companies utilize paper-based processes to produce work orders and sales invoices. For emergency services workers, paper is used by paramedics to record the condition of victims, by police officers to take statements, and by firefighters to issue safety citations.
Using paper to manage your business-critical processes is time-consuming, inefficient and requires countless trees to execute.
Fortunately, there’s a better, smarter and eco-friendly solution: Automating your ‘paper-and-pen’ processes with mobile apps built using SOTI Snap.
Create the Critical Apps Your Business Needs with SOTI Snap
Part of the SOTI ONE Platform, SOTI Snap is a cross-platform mobile app development solution built for businesses. It empowers organizations to build the mobile apps they need quickly and cost-efficiently, without the need for specialized resources.
Using SOTI Snap is, well, a snap. Simply drag-and-drop the widgets you need for your app (text fields, buttons, images, etc.) onto a device-shaped canvas.
To see SOTI Snap in action, check out our video below:
Delivery drivers can collect signatures digitally. Warehouse workers can better track inventory. Emergency services personnel can photograph incident scenes. Retail workers can scan products for customers. And all of it can be done quickly and accurately.
How SOTI Snap Helps the Planet
There’s an old saying: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”
That same philosophy applies to app development and deforestation. The sooner you automate your paper-based processes, the sooner you’ll be doing your part to protect the environment.
Let us say you have 1,000 delivery drivers on the road globally and each driver makes 10 deliveries per day. For each delivery, 2 sheets of paper are used:
- 1,000 drivers x 10 deliveries/day = 10,000 deliveries/day
- 10,000 deliveries/day x 2 sheets of paper/delivery = 20,000 sheets of paper
A tree with an 8-inch diameter and 45ft in height produces approximately 15,000 sheets of paper.9 Therefore, it takes 1.3 trees every single day for your fleet of drivers to make their deliveries.
Earlier it was mentioned that it takes 1.5 cups of water to produce one sheet of paper. Using this example, that means 30,000 cups of water (approximately 7,098 liters or 1,875 gallons) are used daily.
Here are the same stats when using SOTI Snap to perform these manual, paper-based processes:
- Zero sheets of paper used
- Zero trees required
- Zero cups of water needed
Saving Trees is a Snap
Although Earth Day is only once a year, there are opportunities to help the planet daily, one of which is to keep trees standing by cutting down on paper usage.
At the same time, eliminating time-consuming and outdated paper-based processes makes your business more efficient, productive and profitable.
The next time you are in a business environment, look around at the paper being printed, filed, misplaced or discarded and ask yourself: “is there a better way to do this?”
The answer is yes – with SOTI Snap.
For Additional Information
- Contact us with your questions or comments
- Learn more about SOTI Snap
- View the SOTI Snap Brochure and SOTI Snap Datasheet
- Take a free 30-day trial of the SOTI ONE Platform, which includes SOTI Snap
1. Octacom, March 21: International Day of Forests
2. Octacom, March 21: International Day of Forests